What is J1699-3
J1699-3 is a Recommended Practice sponsored by the SAE E/E Diagnostics Committee.
J1699-3 consists of two parts:
- The J1699-3 document which describes the test sequence that is run.
- The J1699-3 software that actually tests the vehicle communication link.
Why was J1699-3 developedThe OBD-II regulations require that for the 2005 MY, manufacturers perform production vehicle evaluation testing of the OBD communication link for every unique calibration, within one month of the start of production.
The intent is to make sure that I/M test tools can communicate properly with all vehicles.
OBD-II Physical Layers
- SAE J1850 PWM (41.6 Kbaud)
- SAE J1850 VPW (10.4 Kbaud)
- ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init)
- ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init)
- ISO 14230-4 KWP (fast init)
- ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 Kbaud)
- ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 500 Kbaud)
- ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 250 Kbaud)
- ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 250 Kbaud)